Penelope's Birth Story: Part 1

3:08:00 PM

Two posts ago, I announced that my husband and I were expecting our first child this June. Well, our sweet Penelope Louise arrived on June 29th, weighing 7lbs, 10oz and was 19 inches long. She is now 5 weeks old and weighing in at 9lbs, 9oz and 21 inches long! 

I could never fully describe what I felt the moment this girl was set on my chest, but I can at least give some insight to the day I spent in labor with her. It took 7 hours in triage and another 18 hours in labor and delivery to get her earth side. (This will be in two parts since it's a long looooong story)

The day before Penny Lou was born, I had my 41 week check up with my OB at 10am as well as a non-stress test and fluid analysis (typical for over-due pregnancies). During my non-stress test, I was having consistent contractions and after the fluid analysis was done, we discovered that I had little to no fluid left - apparently my water had broke the day before and I had no idea! When I was asked if I had known my water had broken (obviously NOT), I told my OB that I had been unpacking my house the day before and sweating my butt off. I thought it was all just sweat... whoops.

Since I had no fluid, I was sent right to triage to be admitted to labor and delivery... but that didn't happen quickly. Turns out, EVERYONE was giving birth that day. Every time they would get my room ready, a nurse would run into my triage room and tell me that they had to give the room to a woman who was 8cm or more dilated that had been laboring IN THE WAITING ROOM (I can't imagine what that was like for those poor mamas). Between this, increasing contractions, and the 5 attempts to get my IV in before it actually worked, I was slightly irritable. I'm so thankful to my husband, in-laws, and parents for being patient with me during that time. 

I believe it was around 6pm when I was finally admitted to labor and delivery after my triage stay. Since I was only 1cm dilated, I was induced with pitocin immediately. It only took about an hour for that to begin working and holy cow, did it speed up the contractions and increase the intensity. My husband and I began to walk the hallway of the hospital and that is about when I completely lost track of time. My contractions were so intense and coming about 30 seconds to a minute apart. I was concentrating so hard on just breathing and trying not to scream that I didn't pay much attention to anything else. So, again, to my family, THANK YOU for being there and understanding. 24 hours in a hospital waiting for me to have a baby was not easy to stand, especially when I wasn't up for talking. 

To be continued... 

You Might Also Like


    KING CASINO, LLC GIVES A $100 dental implants FREE BET to try. Visit us 바카라사이트 today and receive a $100 FREE BET! Sign up at our new apr casino site!